Some pleasant surprises came with the Apple TV 2.0 update, which arrived yesterday…
- You can use the Apple TV as an AirTunes device.
- 1080p output is supported.
- Closed caption support is available (though, sadly, content with CC is currently quite limited).
- Though you have 24 hours to finish watching an iTunes rental from the time you start, I was able to successfully start a movie with 45 minutes left on the clock and still watch through to the end â€“ even though this took me nearly 45 minutes over the limit. (Kudos to Apple for allowing this.)
- There are (optional) parental controls on all content downloaded from the Internet: movie and TV show previews, podcasts, photos, etc.
My kids and I picked out and started watching a movie within 15 minutes after running the new software. Given the fact that I wanted to keep the cost of our experiment down â€“ in case it didn’t go so well â€“ we chose a standard definition
I’ll be exploring more in the next few weeks. I wonder, what other surprises await?